Important notice

Select in-country student mobility programs are now open for application. There are a number of restrictions and additional risk assessment processes currently in place. Final approval to travel is being considered on a case-by-case basis. Virtual programs also continue to be available.

Semester length: Applications for semester exchange in SP5 2023 will open soon. If you're interested in applying, please register to watch the previous information session here.

Short term: There are a number of short program opportunities currently available for both in-country as well as virtual programs. If you’re applying for in-country programs, please carefully read through the updates and considerations on the application pages before submitting your application.

If you're interested in other student mobility experiences, or would like to be kept up to date with opportunities as they become available, please submit an expression of interest form here. The team will be in contact with you with relevant program updates.

The Study Overseas team remains as passionate as ever about the benefits of studying overseas and is here to assist if you have any questions. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss your future plans.

What is a short term study overseas program?

UniSA have a variety of short term options which you can undertake as part of your academic coursework program at UniSA. There are many ways you can study overseas under the ‘short term’ umbrella, see the list below for all the types and definitions.

There are three main types of short term programs, as well as a range of more specific options. The three main types are:

  • SHORT TERM EXCHANGE minus-thick plus-thick

    Short term exchange is where you study at an exchange partner for less than a regular semester, such as a summer/winter program.

    In these programs you are enrolled into UniSA’s exchange course and receive credit towards your current UniSA degree. Tuition fees at the host institution are waived and you continue to pay fees to UniSA. These programs are hosted by one of our exchange partners.

    These programs are a great way to improve language skills, experience another university, meet students from across the globe, and see the world! Consider this option if you want to study at another overseas university, but aren’t ready to commit to a full semester exchange. These programs can be anywhere between 1-10 weeks, depending upon what you choose.

    Find out more

  • STUDY TOURS minus-thick plus-thick

    Study tours are UniSA-led tours, where you travel with a group of UniSA students and a member of UniSA staff. These are a great option if you haven’t travelled overseas before, or just don’t want to worry about planning your daily travels yourself! Study tours are usually around 2-3 weeks long, but may vary. For more information on these, you should contact your Program Director/Academic Unit.

    Find out more

  • SHORT TERM OTHER minus-thick plus-thick

    With these programs you can apply to receive academic credit towards your UniSA degree, but it's not compulsory. If you’re not receiving credit, you may be able to count the experience towards UniSA Plus.

    You will pay tuition fees to the host institution or provider and do not need to be enrolled into corresponding UniSA exchange course. Generally, if you are approved to receive credit, this will be applied to your degree after you return.

    Short term programs might be facilitated through an approved Third-Party Provider or be something you’ve found independently. Some of our full semester exchange partners offer short term study programs that are separate to exchange. This category also includes programs at non-partner overseas universities that are of less duration than a regular semester, such as a summer/winter program.

    Short Term Other programs include:

    Short term Study is like short-term exchange, but for programs at a non-partner overseas university. As well as applying to UniSA, you are also required to apply directly to the overseas university, or through an approved Third-Party Provider. You will also pay all associated fees to the host University/provider. Some of our full semester exchange partners offer short term programs, but if these are not on our short term exchange list they are not part of the exchange agreement and follow short term study processes and fee requirements.

    Internship/placement is for students completing an internship or work placement at an external organisation overseas. These can be facilitated through our approved Third Party Providers, or you may have found your own placement abroad (which will need to be approved). For students completing a placement at one of our exchange partners, you’re still counted as an exchange student and should use that form, rather than the short term form. Internships and placements will vary in duration based upon what and where you do, but generally are between 2-8 weeks.

    Research is for students conducting research relating to their degrees overseas. This may be as part of a research project, research double degree, conference presentation of research findings, or other lab-based experience. Generally this is limited to post-graduate students, however this is not always the case. Research students generally find their own opportunities, and complete the short term application form to register their travel with UniSA and gain access to UniSA International resources.

    Volunteering is for students doing volunteering work overseas. This could be a placement or a field study program in which the educational focus is an activity that services the community. This may count towards your UniSA degree, and may be facilitated by an approved Third Party Provider or be self-sourced.

    Conferences/international competition are for students attending an international conference or meeting, or participating on an international competition such as a moot court, related to their UniSA degree or activities. This may occasionally be through an approved Third Party Provider, but are often self-sourced or organised through an academic.

    Note: All self-sourced experiences must also be approved by the University. UniSA does not support you to participate in programs run by non-approved Third Party Providers.

    We understand there’s a lot of variety, and you might be unsure what a program you’ve found is classified as, if you can count it for credit, whether there are grants available, or even if you can be supported for. Please contact us with the details of what you’re interested in, and we can help you apply. Remember, even if it’s not directly for credit to your UniSA degree, as a UniSA student you should register any University related overseas experiences through the correct application form.

    Find out more

  • HOW DO THE PROGRAM FEES WORK? minus-thick plus-thick

    The fees vary under the various types of short term programs, for advice on how this will work for you specifically please speak to the Study Overseas team:

    Short Term Exchange

    Exchange partner programs that have tuition free places to offer our UniSA students means you will be enrolled in a UniSA course and pay your tuition to UniSA along with any necessary additional program fees to the partner (i.e. program fees cover the cost of accommodation, meals, transport, cultural activities, etc.) or;

    Exchange partner programs that do not have tuition free places available for our UniSA students means you will defer all fees upfront to the host institution and you will apply for credit to be applied to your program upon your return and successful completion of the program, similar to short term study.

    Study Tours

    For specifics on study tours, please talk to the academic unit/staff directly in charge of the tour. In general, you are enrolled in a UniSA course that the study tour counts as credit for, and pay tuition to UniSA. 

    Short Term Other (e.g. via an approved Third Party Provider, non-exchange Summer/Winter School)

    These programs are recommended by UniSA, however these are at institutions that are not UniSA exchange partners. Application and fees are paid upfront to the provider and credit will be applied to your program upon your return and successful completion of the program and any other requirements.