Important notice

Select in-country student mobility programs are now open for application. There are a number of restrictions and additional risk assessment processes currently in place. Final approval to travel is being considered on a case-by-case basis. Virtual programs also continue to be available.

Semester length: Applications for semester exchange in SP5 2023 will open soon. If you're interested in applying, please register to watch the previous information session here.

Short term: There are a number of short program opportunities currently available for both in-country as well as virtual programs. If you’re applying for in-country programs, please carefully read through the updates and considerations on the application pages before submitting your application.

If you're interested in other student mobility experiences, or would like to be kept up to date with opportunities as they become available, please submit an expression of interest form here. The team will be in contact with you with relevant program updates.

The Study Overseas team remains as passionate as ever about the benefits of studying overseas and is here to assist if you have any questions. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss your future plans.

Below are the eligibility requirements for a short term study overseas program. You should read through these and make sure you meet them before applying. If you wish to discuss your eligibility, please contact

Short Term Opportunities

  • You must be at least 18 years old by the point of participation
  • You must have a UniSA Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 or above
  • You should have no more than 9 failed units in the program in which you are currently enrolled
  • You must undertake your short term program outside of Australia and outside of your country of citizenship
  • You must have no more than a 12-month absence from the University prior to commencing the mobility program
  • Must be able to get approval from your Program Director that a minimum of 4.5 units credit will be awarded towards your current program for your overseas study


At point of application, you must have completed and passed at least 18 units of your current program.

Postgraduate (Coursework)

At point of application, you must have completed at least 9 units in the program in which you are currently enrolled, or alternatively have recently completed your undergraduate program at the University of South Australia.

International students

If you are an international student looking to study overseas through the University of South Australia, we recommend that you arrange a meeting with the Study Overseas team to discuss your your options, as there may be additional considerations for you.

As an international student studying a UniSA program:

  • You can apply to go on exchange and receive a UniSA travel grant
  • Standard selection criteria will apply to you
  • You may be required to take a TOEFL/IELTS test at their own expense to apply to some partner universities
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that taking overseas studies will not adversely affect your visa/future work and study prospects

Other considerations

Discussion with Academic Advisor/Program Director

Before you apply for the exchange program it is recommended you discuss your decision with a relevant academic staff member. You must research your options prior to meeting the staff member and take relevant documentation with you. Ultimately your Program Director needs to approve your course selection.

International Students

The Study Overseas office can provide a letter confirming details of your exchange for you to present to the Department of Home Affairs if required.

Students undertaking placement

Students undertaking University approved Placement/Work Experience/Field Trips/Site Visits are provided with relevant insurance by the University. See here for details and conditions for cover or contact the Insurance Office.

Student Mobility Policy

Student Mobility Policy: A - 36 Student mobility.

Research students

There may be opportunities for you to have an international experience as part of your research degree, however this is not facilitated through the Study Overseas team. Please discuss opportunities with your supervisor in the first instance.