What can I study?

What is a short term exchange program?

UniSA have a variety of short term exchange programs which you can undertake as part of your academic coursework program at UniSA. The programs that you could undertake may be:

  •  Summer/Winter School programs with UniSA exchange partner institutions
  •  Internships
  •  Volunteering
  •  Study Tours (UniSA School Led Programs)

The programs specifics are generally:

Academic Content

Generally equivalent to 4.5 units (1 course) to 9 units (2 courses) in your program for all eligible undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students


Credit or grades are awarded on the provision of a transcript upon successful completion of the study

Host institution/Provider type

The short term exchange program is either:

Program Dates

Generally programs are run in:

  •  November to February or;
  •  June to July


Short term programs Generally range from 2 to 8 weeks in length depending on the program and unit load taken


How do the program fees work?

The fees vary under the various types of short term exchange programs, advice on how this will work for you specifically please speak to the Study Overseas team:

  •   Unisa exchange partner - see list here: unisa.edu.au/Exchange-partners
    •   Exchange partner programs that have tuition free places to offer our UniSA students means you will be enrolled in a UniSA course and pay your tuition to UniSA along with any necessary additional program fees to the partner (ie. program fees cover the cost of accommodation, meals, transport, cultural activities, etc.) or;
    •   Exchange partner programs that do not have tuition free places available for our UniSA students means you will defer all fees upfront to the host institution and you will apply for credit to be applied to your program upon your return and successful completion of the program
  •  An approved Third Party Provider (Study Tour, Internship, Volunteering)
    •   These programs are recommended by UniSA, however these are at institutions that are not UniSA exchange partners. Application and fees are paid upfront to the Third Party Provider and you will apply for credit to be applied to your program upon your return and successful completion of the program

Travel Grant Information

The UI short term travel grant is available for the following credit bearing (or degree-required) activities:

  •   Students participating in short programs (e.g., Summer Schools) at UniSA partner Universities
  •   Students participating in short programs facilitated and delivered by an overseas University
  •   Students participating in short programs or study tours offered by signed/approved TPPs
  •   Students participating in UniSA Faculty-lead Study Tours
    •   In the event that a UniSA study tour is being run by a third party, a formal agreement will need to have been established (on consultation with UI Mobility)
  •  Students participating in offshore conferences (including ENCATC which also includes a study tour)
  •  Students undertaking independently sourced and Program Director approved overseas internships (provided they are not facilitated by a non-partnered TPP)
  •   Students must be undertaking the mobility program outside of Australia and outside of their country of citizenship