Defence industry high-flyer UniSA’s new ChancellorJune 18 2015
Dr Gould says Jim McDowell, currently Chairman of the Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, will bring a wealth of relevant international industry experience to the role, at a time when UniSA is forging stronger national and international research partnerships in support of future industries.
“With more than 35 years’ experience on the world stage in one of the most competitive industry sectors, aerospace and defence technologies, Jim will bring an important global view to the future planning and governance of the University,” Dr Gould says.
Working his way through the company, he became CEO of BAE Systems Australia in 2001 and later led its operations in Saudi Arabia as head of a workforce of more than 5000 and overseeing sales of more than $5 billion a year.
He is a non-executive director of both Codan Ltd and Austal Ltd and is Chairman of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation. During this long career, McDowell has lived and worked in the UK, the USA, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
“In addition to that global experience, Jim also brings a real passion for the transformational power of education in people’s lives to the role of Chancellor,” Dr Gould says.
“He is no stranger to UniSA having served on UniSA Council and the Advisory Board for our Business School.
“He has also encouraged lifelong learning through his roles as a member of the Defence Reserves Support Committee SA, a highly active member of the Northern Economic Leaders Champions Group and as Chairman of the Australian Apprenticeships for the 21st Century Panel, reporting to the Minister for Education in 2011.
“His diverse and top level experience of business, education and strategic governance will be an absolute asset to the University and I am delighted to be handing him the reins.”
Jim McDowell says he is delighted and honoured with his appointment and to be handed the reins by someone as outstanding as Dr Ian Gould.
“I hope to bring together my experience of industry and government and my deep commitment to the value of education to support and enhance UniSA’s development as Australia’s university of enterprise,” McDowell says.
Dr Gould has served as Chancellor in one of the University’s most significant periods of growth and change. He will complete his term at UniSA in December after eight years of distinguished service including as Convenor of the Universities Chancellors’ Council (UCC).
Media Contact: Michèle Nardelli office: +61 8 8302 0966 mobile: 0418 823 673 email: email@example.com
RT @RogerEston: Great to be at the first birthday celebration at UniSA’s Pridham Hall. Amazing facility and great staff! Congratulations Br…
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College