When the chemistry is right: UniSA pharmacist wins top prizeJuly 30 2018
UniSA pharmacist Dr Jacinta Johnson has been named Australia’s Early Career Pharmacist of the Year at a special awards ceremony in Sydney on Friday 27 July.
Dr Johnson, a lecturer and researcher in UniSA’s School of Pharmacy and Medical Science, was honoured at the 2018 Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) Excellence Awards.
The award nomination singled Dr Johnson out for her extensive support and mentoring of students, her volunteer work within the industry and her research.
Described as an “exceptional role model and effective communicator,” Dr Johnson has been credited with motivating students to be innovative and achieve high standards.
“Jacinta is more than just a lecturer; she is a mentor and an inspiration to her students,” says Caela Crane, President of the South Australian Pharmacy Students’ Association.
“Both in the lecture theatre and in person, Jacinta is a dynamic and powerful communicator who makes complex subjects understandable and who is very generous with her knowledge and time.
“She encourages students to challenge and ask questions to ensure a deeper understanding of pharmacy rather than just learning by rote.”
In 2017, the South Australian Pharmacy Students Association awarded Dr Johnson “Lecturer of the Year” and the Australian Journal of Pharmacy named her one of the country’s “rising stars” in the same year.
She won the SA/NT Early Career Pharmacist Award in March this year, qualifying her for the national finals held on Friday.
Media contact: Candy Gibson mobile 0434 605 142 email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College