UniSA Professor Shudong Wang honoured at NHMRC awardsJune 29 2018
World renowned cancer researcher, UniSA Professor Shudong Wang, was honoured at the National Health and Medical Research Council’s (NHMRC) annual Research Excellence Awards in Canberra on 27 June, winning the Top Development Grant for 2017.
Professor Wang, who leads the team at UniSA’s Centre for Drug Discovery and Development, was awarded the prize to develop a new and effective enzyme-targeted drug for cancer patients.
Her team demonstrated the drug’s effectiveness against acute myeloid leukemia and cancers of breast and ovaries, and she is looking to secure investment to accelerate its development and make it available for cancer sufferers.
“It is estimated that more than 134,000 new cases of cancer were diagnosed in Australia last year – an average of 367 people each day,” Professor Wang says. “This novel drug we are developing offers new hope for many Australians living with this insidious disease.”
“The population is ageing, Australians are living longer and the incidence and burden of cancer is rapidly increasing. Research focusing on new and more effective therapies is critical,” she says.
Professor Wang’s team collaborates with researchers globally, funding organisations, donors and pharmaceutical companies in a common goal to find a cure for cancer.
The cancer researcher was one of 20 of Australia’s leading health and medical researchers honoured at this week’s NHMRC awards, from an initial field of 5400 applications.
Professor Wang joined the University of South Australia in 2012 from the University of Nottingham, UK, where she was Reader in Medicinal Chemistry. Prior to that she spent seven years in a British Biotech company as Head of Chemistry and Drug Discovery after completing her PhD in Chemistry in 1998.
To help Professor Wang’s research and help fight cancer, please go to www.unisa.edu.au/jointhefight
Caption: Professor Shudong Wang pictured with Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt at the NHMRC Research Excellence Awards on 27 June.
Media contact: Candy Gibson mobile 0434 605 142 email mailto:email@example.com
RT @BarbaraASpears: Looking forward to presenting the Australian Student Wellbeing Framework here in Bolzano, Italy at the Prevention of bu…
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College