Marketer from Mars to join UniSANovember 02 2016
Former Global Chief Marketing Officer for Mars Incorporated, one of the world’s largest confectionary and food manufacturers with annual sales of US$33 billion, has joined the University of South Australia Business School as an Industry Professor at the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute.
Known as a champion of both creativity and science, and advertising that emotionally resonates with consumers, Australian-born Professor Bruce McColl is an award winning CMO with an enduring career at the head of Mars marketing, in an industry notorious for rapid turnover.
Prof McColl will bring global industry experience into the classroom, as well as advising post-graduate research students.
He has been a Corporate Sponsor and Advisory Board member of UniSA’s Ehrenberg-Bass Institute and, taking research spearheaded at the Institute, he established the Mars Marketing Science Laboratory to underpin growth and bring evidence-based marketing to Mars Inc.
He left Mars this year after 10 years in the top job and with the coveted ‘Advertiser of the Year’, Cannes Lion Awards for Creativity, and Marketer of the Year, International Food and Beverage (FAB) Awards in both 2015 and 2016, under the Mars marketing belt.
Director of the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute and author of the top selling publication How Brands Grow, Prof Byron Sharp, says the insights Prof McColl brings will be invaluable for students and industry partners.
“The kind of experience Bruce has is unique, he’s seen great changes in the industry, and is a leader in the application of scientific knowledge to marketing practice,” Prof Sharp says.
“Corporate sponsors of the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute as well as students will benefit from his experience in marrying creativity and science.”
Pro Vice Chancellor Business and Law, Prof Marie Wilson says Prof McColl’s appointment as Industry Professor at UniSA is another clear example of the University’s strong focus on providing education and research that is deeply connected to industry best practice.
“Bruce has had a stellar career in marketing at the highest international level,” Prof Wilson says.
“His engagement with our staff and students ensures that we can offer commercial, leading edge perspectives in our teaching and research.”
Media contact: Michèle Nardelli mobile: +61 418 823 673 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College