The Middle East Crisis: <Br>Impact on the Global Community and the Way Forward
Friday 10 March
Podcast available HERE
Watch the YouTube video HERE
Over the last two decades, the Middle East has witnessed some of the worst wars and destructions, due to various reasons including foreign intervention and despotic regimes. Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed, and millions became refugees leading to world crisis with multiple consequences. In response, we have witnessed a rise of right wing politics in the western world and Europe, violent extremism in the form of ISIL, and the rise of Islamophobia.
In this lecture, Wadah Khanfar will be discussing the possible reasons for the disarray in the Middle East, the consequences of western foreign interventions, and the way forward for two seemingly opposite entities: the Islamic and western worlds.
Wadah Khanfar is the President of Al Sharq Forum, an independent network dedicated to developing long-term strategies for political development, social justice and economic prosperity for the people of the Middle East. He is a Board Member of the International Crisis Group, President of the Common Action Forum in Madrid, and Chairman of Huffington Post Arabi.
Wadah previously served as the Director General of Al Jazeera Media Network for 8 years. He has been ranked by Foreign Policy Magazine in 2011 as the first in The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers, and in Fast Company as the first in the 100 Most Creative People in Business (2011) and as one of the most ‘Powerful People in the World’ by Forbes magazine. During his tenure Al Jazeera went from a single channel to a media network with multiple properties including the Al Jazeera Arabic, English, Balkans, Documentary, Sport, and Al Jazeera Centre for Studies.
Wadah Khanfar: The Middle East and Change
Wadah Khanfar: A historic moment in the Arab world
Steps of Progress in Times of Crisis
Analysis of the failed coup in Turkey by Wadah Khanfar
Exclusive video of Wadah Khanfar and the Al Jazeera newsroom
CASBAA Convention Rewind: Wadah Khanfar, Managing Director, Al Jazeera (2004)
Wadah Khanfar's New Media Initiative
Wadah Khanfar delivering Keynote at Al Jazeera Forum 2015, Doha
Al Sharq Forum
Wadah Khanfar Twitter:
Presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre and the Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
While the views presented by speakers within the Hawke Centre public program are their own and are not necessarily those of either the University of South Australia or The Hawke Centre, they are presented in the interest of open debate and discussion in the community and reflect our themes of: strengthening our democracy - valuing our diversity - and building our future.
The copying and reproduction of any transcripts within the Hawke Centre public program is strictly forbidden without prior arrangements.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College