The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre
Strengthening our Democracy. Valuing our Diversity. Building our Future.
The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre, known as the Hawke Centre, is a community-focused centre devoted to generating ideas and solutions to achieve cohesive, sustainable societies. We engage with local and international communities through public learning activities including lectures, seminars, alliances and research projects.
VALE THE HONOURABLE ROBERT JAMES LEE HAWKE, AC, GCL, 1929- 2019
FORMER PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA, 1983-1991
The University of South Australia is deeply saddened to learn of the recent passing of former Prime Minister Bob Hawke AC.
Bob will be deservedly remembered among Australians in general, and this University in particular, not only as a politician of great talent and principle but as a man who was passionate about education and the opportunities it offered to people everywhere.
Bob was closely associated with this university from its very early days. As the only Australian Prime Minister to be born in South Australia, he very generously allowed us to build The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre and he remained a committed supporter who became a great friend.
In retirement he gave us the benefit of his wisdom as we grew into our new role and was unfailing in his support for education, for peace and for interfaith dialogue, and for Australia and its people.
As a Hawke Centre supporter I have no doubt that you mourn his passing but take heart from the great good that you, and he, have done to encourage new thinking about civil societies, for opening access to the public to some of today’s greatest thinkers and leaders of social reform through the Hawke Centre.
Those of us who knew Bob well were always struck by his warmth and energy and his passion for public service. The thoughts expressed and the memories recounted by so many people in the press to date paint a clear picture of a much loved and greatly admired man.
We are all poorer for his passing, but will continue to benefit greatly from his legacy.
A Memorial Book is available for people to sign in The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre's Kerry Packer Civic Gallery City West campus.
The exhibition Advancing Australia Fair - Bob Hawke and his Government 1983 – 1991 is also open in the gallery, including photographs and film from the Hawke Library archives.
Professor David G. Lloyd
Vice-Chancellor and President
University of South Australia
Image Credit: Randy Larcombe
Livestream State Memorial Service
The Hon Robert J L Hawke, AC, GCL
Hosted by The Hon John Hill
SA Refugee Week
2019 Youth Poster Awards ExhibitionMore Info
Amnesty International Oration
Delivered by AI Secretary General Kumi NaidooRegister
18 June, 6pm
Hawke Centre highlights
Events from the community.
Kerry Packer Civic Gallery
View the latest exhibition and find out more.
Register for our Mailing List
Keep informed about upcoming events in our public program.
Relive our Events
A diverse range of intriguing, engaging and socially-challenging discussions
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College