UniSA materials scientist picked as Tall Poppy of the YearAugust 19 2013
Based at UniSA’s Mawson Institute, Dr Evans designs thin film coatings for common surfaces. The senior research fellow played a key role in developing a lightweight, shatterproof plastic car mirror, which is currently being adopted by car manufacturers around the globe.
The Award acknowledges Dr Evan’s ability to combine cutting edge research in the field of advanced materials with a passion for science communication. He has been involved in a number of community engagement initiatives, including science and maths outreach programs for high school students.
UniSA’s Deputy Vice Chancellor and Vice President: Research and Innovation, Professor Richard Head says the Tall Poppy campaign highlights the innovative research taking place in South Australia and puts a spotlight on the early career researchers leading the charge.
“The Tall Poppy Awards recognise the significant achievements of some of the State’s best young researchers. They are commended not only for their word-class research but for sharing their knowledge of and enthusiasm for science with others through engagement with the wider community,” Prof Head says.
“We are delighted that Drew has been selected from a large and talented pool of South Australian researchers to be named the best and brightest young scientist in the State.
“This is a great achievement and we are looking forward to Drew playing a leading role in the future of science research at UniSA and in Australia.”
Dr Luke Grzeskowiak, who completed his PhD at UniSA’s Division of Health Sciences, was also recognised at the Science Excellence Awards SA, winning the PhD Research Excellence (Health and Medical Sciences) category. His research focuses on the feasibility of using routinely collected health data to examine long-term effects of medication use during pregnancy on the health of the offspring in later life.
Rosanna Galvin office (08) 8302 0578 mobile 0434 603 457 email email@example.com
Don't look to the Academy for enlightened thinking - UniSA Screen Studies lecturer, Dr Stuart Richards gives his v… https://t.co/tQqURk2KgO
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College