Professor Richard Head
Leading pharmacologist and nutrition research leader Professor Richard Head commenced as Deputy Vice Chancellor and Vice President Research and Innovation in March 2013. His substantive position is as Director of the Sansom Institute for Health Research which he commenced in August 2012.
Prior to his appointment at the Institute, Professor Head was Director of the CSIRO’s Preventative Health National Flagship (2002-2012) where he led a national research program to advance early detection and intervention of chronic diseases; some of his notable achievement in that role included establishing AIBL (the Australian Imaging, Biomarkers and Lifestyle Flagship study of ageing) and founding Australia’s largest research grouping into early detection of colorectal cancer.
The author of 174 publications, his research interests centre around understanding the protective action of dietary constituents in human health; some of his pivotal research findings have included illuminating the role played by exaggerated sympathetic innervation in hypertension disease, demonstrating impaired vascular contraction in diabetes, demonstrating the vascular protective role of long chain fatty acids, defining the pharmokinetics of isoflavones, and demonstrating the roles of butyrate in inducing program cell death in cancer cells.
Professor Head is a member of numerous advisory committees, including the Scientific Advisory Council for the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and the Australian e-Health Research Centre Board. Professor Head was awarded the prestigious CSIRO 2012 Lifetime Achievement Medal in October 2012.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College