UniSA Elite Athlete & Performer Program
The Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) program supports Australia’s elite athletes to achieve academic excellence while also pursuing a sporting career. The value of combining both sport and higher education to achieve greater life success is well recognised across the university and sporting sectors.
As an EAFU approved university since 2004, UniSA works to support elite athletes and performing artists in achieving their best in both performance and study - so you won’t have to choose between these two significant aspects of your life.
We understand how your competition or performance commitments may impact on your studies, so we aim to provide you with flexible study options and a wide range of support services to help you achieve your best in all of the important areas of your life.
We currently have hundreds of athletes and performers who are enrolled at UniSA and registered with the program. While registration in the program is completely voluntary, it does help us to identify students who may benefit from a flexible and responsive approach to their study and additional academic support.
Hear from our students
Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) student
Trampolining, Gymnastics Australia
Competed in Australian Championships 2009 - 2016
As an elite athlete I worked closely with physiotherapists from a young age, so I knew early on that I wanted to be a physiotherapist. I was always interested in what physiotherapists were doing to help people and by studying at UniSA, I have been able to gain practical experience in campus facilities, such as the physiotherapy clinic, and learn from highly knowledgeable staff.
It can be difficult finding a balance between study and professional sport, however UniSA’s Elite Athlete Program can help you manage conflicting commitments easily. Recently I completed a physiotherapy industry placement, which I was able to do in an aged care facility close to where I train. This flexibility made sure I could get to training sessions on time.
This program has helped me structure my university timetable and assessments in a way that allows me to fulfil my sporting commitments.
I have a real passion for learning and love the challenge of balancing elite sport, university and work. As an elite cyclist I don’t always know my racing schedule until a few weeks before so planning for exams and assessments can be difficult. UniSA’s Elite Sports Athlete program provides the support and flexibility needed for me to manage my cycling and study commitments and the staff always go above and beyond to help me with any challenges.
Photo: Tom Doedee
What we offer
Find out how we support you at University and give you the flexibility you need to excel. Get specialised advice and guidance starting now and throughout your studies.Learn how we support you
How to apply
Want to know if you are eligible for elite athlete or performing artist status? Find out and get all the information you need to start your application.Get started
Got a question?
Explore the possibilities of your study journey as an elite athlete or performing artist. Get in touch with us today.Get in touch
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College