Demi in 3MT top 8November 30 2013
An ITR PhD student who represented the University of South Australia at a national public speaking competition has finished in the top eight in the country.
The latest achievement for Demi Gao (pictured with University of Western Sydney Chancellor Professor Peter Shergold) comes after she took out both First Prize and the People's Choice Award in the University of South Australia 3MT competition.
Demi's research focusses on improving the performance of cochlear implants. Demi was thrilled when she made it through to the finals of the Trans-Tasman 3MT competition in October, after competing against 43 other semi-finalists.
The 3MT competition requires PhD and Masters by research students to describe the significance of their research to a non-specialist audience in just three minutes, using just one slide and no notes.
Demi says she was surprised and honoured with her result and received good support from university colleagues.
“I have only been in Australia for a year so this competition has given me a lot of confidence with my communication skills,” Demi says.
“3MT has been a great experience and I’d encourage all higher degree research students to take part.”
UniSA Dean of Graduate Studies Professor Phil Weinstein says the UniSA community is proud of Demi’s achievement: “Demi presented a compelling oration on her research and its significance, and her participation has been inspirational.”
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College