Public lectures by Hawke EU Centre Thinker in Residence, Professor Alison PhippsNovember 15 2016
Professor Alison Phipps, Hawke EU Centre Thinker in Residence delivered two public lecture whilst on residency at UniSA. The first lecture was held at City West Campus on Thursday 10 November and another at Adelaide West Uniting Church on Saturday 12 November 2016.
The first lecture entitled 'Witnessing what happens when lessons are not learned: Calais, Lesbos, and Families held apart' was held at UniSA's City West Campus on Thursday 10 November 2017.
In this lecture, Professor Alison Phipps argued that there is a need for us not to flinch from the acute discomfort, even anger and helplessness, of witnessing to what, wittingly or unwittingly, our policies and voting habits, foreign and domestic, have done. Watch lecture here.
The second lecture entitled 'Offering Hospitality when the Stranger is at the Gate' was held at Adelaide West Uniting Church on Saturday 12 November 2016.
This lecture reflected on the role played by faith communities in the welcome of refugees to Europe, and especially to Scotland over the past 10 years. Using poetry, liturgy and story the talk took the form of a journey out into the public square and back into the recesses of the spirit. Read more.
Hawke EU Centre Intern, Bonnie Parker interviewed Professor Phipps whilst at UniSA. Read more here.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College