Bachelor of Nutrition and Food Science
Meet Scott Woollett
UniSA Nutrition and Food Science graduate and Microbiology Specialist, Lion Australia and New Zealand
“I wanted to study something that combined my love of food with the Chemistry and Biology subjects that I was good at. UniSA was the only university that allowed me to study both nutrition courses and to major in food science.”
“My initial attraction to this course was that it would allow me to combine my love of food, with the Chemistry and Biology subjects at high school that I was good at.
The teaching staff at UniSA were great, they were very knowledgeable and supportive. The best thing that I did while at UniSA was the New Product Development project, where we designed and delivered a new food product from concept to execution.
While studying I attended many industry visits including: Golden North Ice-cream, Ingham’s, National Foods, and The West End Brewery. As well as these industry visits I was able to do a work placement at Rymill Winery in Coonawarra. The experiences were vital for showing us how an actual production plant works and is operated. While you may learn theory in the classroom about the tasks and procedures being done, it is another thing completely to see them taking place, or even better, doing them yourself."
Along with placements in the food industry, Scott was able to utilise his skills in the education sector.
"One of the most rewarding field trips was spending two weeks in the town of Quorn teaching nutritional information to Indigenous students in primary school.”
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College