Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine
Meet Mike Attwell
UniSA Laboratory Medicine graduate and Medical Scientist, Genetics and Molecular Pathology, SA Pathology
The degree’s multidisciplinary focus was an advantage as it allowed the option to focus my learning on my interests within the field."
Michael works as a Medical Scientist at SA Pathology in Genetics and Molecular Pathology. He is also an accredited Parentage Reporter, where he determines one's parents through DNA.
“I use various molecular techniques to establish causative mutations related to thalassaemia, haemoglobinopathies and bleeding disorders. The results generated from this work are able to assist with pregnancy planning and management. Along with appropriate genetic counselling patients are able to make informed decisions.
“A highlight of my professional career to date is becoming a NATA accredited Parentage Reporter. As part of this, I perform Short Tandem Repeat Analysis to determine paternity as part of SA Pathology’s Parentage Testing Unit.”
Mike was drawn to study Laboratory Medicine due to his interest in biochemistry and genetics.
“The degree’s multidisciplinary focus was an advantage as it allowed the option to focus my learning on my interests within the field. Laboratory medicine ended up being the perfect fit for me. I knew I loved science in general but had no idea which area within that I would most enjoy. The broad range of topics taught in the degree helped me gauge my interests and narrow down my future career choices.
“The flexibility suited my needs as I could use electives to tailor the course to my interests.
I thoroughly enjoyed the practical elements in the degree and the emphasis on hands-on experience was invaluable.”
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College