Mental Health Master Classes
Are you interested in learning some advanced practice skills in mental health nursing?
Please read on for details of a free opportunity to learn from some of South Australia's more senior mental health clinicians.
Professor Nicholas Procter
Chair: Mental Health Nursing
What are Master Classes?
UniSA's School of Nursing and Midwifery has a long tradition of community engagement with students and clinicians by hosting Mental Health Master Classes. Each Master Class is free of charge and open to senior undergraduate and all postgraduate health, nursing and midwifery students, academic staff and practising clinicians.
Recent topics covered include:
- Advanced mental state examination and suicide risk assessment;
- Assessing and responding to auditory hallucinations;
- Therapeutic communication and engagement;
- Deliberate self harm with suicidal intent;
- Trauma and complex care for children and young people;
- Refugee and transcultural mental health;
- Metabolic syndrome;
- Aggression management and de-escalation techniques.
Each presenter works through a de-identified case, explains holistic assessment models and discusses findings, decision points and interagency referral plans. The Master Classes are interactive with opportunity for attendees to ask questions and participate in debate and discussion.
Feedback from participants about the benefits of Master Classes has been uniformly positive. Attendees find the real world example of practice from clinicians both informative and supportive of their ongoing professional development.
UniSA's Mental Health Master Class are conducted in partnership with SA Health as part of advancing mental health reform throughout the state and community.
Previous Master Class presenters include:
- Tim Crowley, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Trauma and Complex Care, CAMHS
- Phillip Galley, Clinical Nursing Director, Country Health SA
- Sally Hampel, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Adelaide Health Service
- Adrian Jackson, Associate Clinical Services Coordinator, Eastern Assessment and Crisis Intervention Service
- Lesley Legg, Clinical Practice Consultant, Quality and Safety, Adelaide Health Service
- Monica McEvoy, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Refugee and Multicultural Mental Health, CAMHS
- Michael Merritt, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Consultation and Liaison, Adelaide Health Service
- Simon Moody, Clinical Practice Consultant, Lyell McEwin Health Service
- Mike Musker, Advanced Clinical Services Coordinator, Forensic Mental Health Service, James Nash House
- Linda Nobes, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Adult Mental Health, Adelaide Health Service
- Nicholas Procter, Chair: Mental Health Nursing, University of South Australia
- Julie-Anne Reilly, Clinical Nurse, Eastern Assessment and Crisis Intervention Service
- Cate Rowlands, Lyell McEwin Health Service, Adelaide Health Service
- Lorraine Smitham, Clinical Nurse, Eastern Assessment and Crisis Intervention Service
- Susan Wilson, Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Candidate, Adult Mental Health, Adelaide Health Service
Upcoming Master Classes
Mental Health Master Classes will be held again in 2017. Further details and invitations to participate will be announced via UniSA student and staff email.
If you do not receive UniSA student and staff email and wish to be notified about the next Master Class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College