Prevention and treatment of obesity and chronic disease
Our aim is to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians through food. We are expanding knowledge on the links between diet and disease, in order to develop innovative solutions for promoting healthy dietary patterns. Spanning knowledge creation to understand the effects of nutrients, foods and dietary patterns on health, as well as the design and implementation of targeted clinical interventions, our research focuses on preventing disease and enhancing our ability to maintain health and wellbeing.
The Prevention and treatment of obesity and chronic disease portfolio includes the following research programs:
- Prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease in adults with and without diabetes. Improved glycemic control in diabetes and prevention of diabetes.
- The effect of nutrients (including bioactives), foods and dietary patterns on cardiometabolic and cognitive health.
- Optimising dietary support in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Development of dietary strategies to improve people’s omega-3 status.
Our areas of strength and capability include:
- Conducting large clinical trials for weight management, prevention and treatment of chronic disease
- Substantiating the efficacy of novel foods in cardiovascular health and diabetes and people at risk of diabetes.
- Assessment of cardiovascular health (body composition, blood biomarkers, vascular health) and cognitive function (including cognitive/mood tests)
- Evaluation of dietary intake and physical activity
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with the food industry to improve the food supply.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College