It’s Time to Face & Breakdown Barriers!
A Course on Barrier Identification & Solution to Address Guideline Implementation Challenges
This course aims to provide participants with the knowledge and skills in assessing local context barriers and developing relevant and practical solutions to implement best practice clinical guidelines.
At the end of this workshop, the participants will:
- Learn and understand our innovative local context barrier identification strategy
- Know and demonstrate skills in developing solutions to address the barriers in context (includes stakeholder involvement)
‘We do what we do’ in guideline development and implementation because we want to improve healthcare practice and services to achieve optimum outcomes for patients. However, if we fail to focus on the ‘real context’ challenges (i.e., lack of healthcare professionals to deliver treatment, lack of communication/coordination between policy makers, healthcare providers and guideline developers, patient/individual resistance to the recommended care, etc) then all efforts placed in designing the best implementation strategy will be put to waste.
Barrier identification and barrier solution are critical in ensuring that guidelines serve their purpose and that guidelines have an impact in improving clinical practice, patient outcomes and the healthcare services, which is the theme of the G-I-N 2018 Conference (purpose and impact of guidelines). Very little attention has been given to ‘real context’ barrier assessment and almost no attention has been given to providing ‘real context’ barrier solutions, thus many of the guideline implementation strategies have not been successful.
In this workshop, we will be addressing this gap and we will be teaching innovative and practical strategies in barrier identification and barrier solutions because it is time to face the barriers. We will be presenting our case studies where we have applied and tested our strategies.
This course will be of interest amongst guideline developers, policy makers, researchers and any health professional.
See more at the G-I-N Website for the 2018 G-I-N Conference here
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College