The China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Urban Development is a multidisciplinary research-intensive collaborative centre that focuses on sustainable urban development and associated environmental and social issues in the Asia-Pacific region.
There are a large number of critical issues facing urban growth in the Asia-Pacific region. Research at the Centre focuses on the three priorities (low-carbon design, development & construction, pollution control & waste reduction, and developing & implementing the circular economy). Over the last 3 years this has involved projects in the following areas:
- Developing green infrastructure systems and technologies
- Increasing resource efficiency and waste reduction
- Strategies to advance the Circular Economy
- Technologies and systems for low carbon development
- Designing healthy and sustainable public spaces
- Mitigating urban heat stress, air pollution and related issues
- Material flow reduction and low carbon construction strategies
- Retrofitting existing districts with low carbon technologies and systems
- Low-carbon living in high-density cities, including behaviour change strategies
- Water pollution, water quality and control, and the ‘sponge city’
View the 2017-2018 research projects here.