China Australia Symposium
The University of South Australia in conjunction with Tianjin University hosted the China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Urban Development Symposium and Launch on 21 February 2013.
This Symposium launched the University of South Australia and Tianjin University’s new collaborative initiative the China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Urban Development.
Along with launching this new research centre, this Symposium explored sustainable urban development and environmental research currently being conducted in China and Australia.
The launch attracted more than 140 participants including a large delegation of Chinese academics, researchers and government officials.
The Symposium also included Tianjin University Day on 22 February. This half-day event included round table discussions on current and future collaborative research opportunities for the new China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Urban Development.
In a show of lasting collaboration and friendship between the University of South Australia and Tianjin University Vice Chancellors Professor David Lloyd and Professor Li Jiajun also planted a crab apple tree on Tianjin University at City West campus.
For an insight into the Symposium view the below video and presentations.
Welcome & Opening
> User-centered design for public spaces in China’s rapid transformation, Professor Cees de Bont, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
> New Research Agendas in Sustainable Urban Development: Professor Steffen Lehmann, University of South Australia
> Australian City Futures: The Agenda: Associate Professor Jon Kellett, University of South Australia
> Policy Effects Assessment System Dynamics Model of Regional Low-carbon Development: Professor Tan Xin, Tianjin University
> Interpretations of Sustainable Design - Case study Canberra: Professor Mads Gaardboe, University of South Australia
> Public Spaces in Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore: Ms Mabel John, University of South Australia
> New Energy New City – Chinese Low Carbon Towns Under Economical Transformation: Dr Li Zhu, Tianjin University
> Residential Buildings and Heat Wave Risks: Associate Professor Stephen Pullen, University of South Australia
> Sustainable Management of Groundwater: Associate Professor Ian Clark
> The Challenges of Introducing Green Infrastructure: Professor Simon Beecham, University of South Australia
> Integrated Design of Garden and House: Professor John Boland, University of South Australia
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College