About the Centre
"CITE aims to be the leading knowledge hub for Islamic thought and education. CITE will achieve this in ways that benefit communities nationally and globally, building on Islam’s long tradition of scholarship and awareness of the modern context."
Our philosophy is to promote empirical research informed by Islamic methodologies, philosophies and pedagogies, cognisant of the unique Australian context.
It is our deep conviction that academic research and teaching must positively impact on engagement with community, media, government and non-government organisations. It must empower vulnerable and disempowered communities. This is at the heart of our philosophy.
Bringing together researchers specialising in Islamic civilisation, psychology, ethics, leadership, management, finance and education, our staff has extensive academic experience in Islamic studies, and importantly, substantial understanding of the needs and aspirations of the Australian Muslim communities. Our staff have actively participated in the affairs of the community for the last two decades and are well placed to explore issues that affect them, and engage with them in a holistic and grounded way.
Our approach is strength based and does not examine the Muslim community as a ‘subject’ of inquiry that is inscribed by ‘otherness.’
The Centre will have major, ongoing impact on the deeper understanding of Islam and Muslims, and their place in Australia and the modern world. We will provide a model for research, teaching and community engagement that are informed by a comprehensive understanding of Islam and Muslims based on Islam’s sacred traditions and contemporary realties.
Our centre will engage with academics, journalists, politicians, and the wider community in order to inform, educate, and build bridges of understanding, and to promote a spirit of interconnectedness.
You can also download our brochure.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College