Boosting renewable energy use with phase change thermal energy storage for refrigeration
This project aims to develop a low cost energy storage solution using phase change material (PCM), which is set to benefit the commercial and industrial refrigeration market. The approach will involve the optimisation of the control strategy for the PCM thermal energy storage system when integrated with a solar photovoltaic (PV) renewable energy supply.
The project has the potential to significantly increase the uptake of low-cost clean renewable energy in the industrial refrigeration market. As part of the project a pilot-scale demonstration system is to be designed and constructed by Glaciem Cooling Technologies.
The project aims to develop a new phase change material (PCM) aimed at reducing storage size and cost, and improving methods for charging and discharging, enabling the efficient operation of conventional refrigeration systems. Optimal control of the storage will also be investigated in order to meet the thermal demand using forecast solar PV output, the price of electricity and the storage system state in order to minimise operation costs and meet contracted peak demand reduction targets.
Optimising the control and operation of a novel PCM thermal storage, combined with solar PV, has the potential to provide reliable and economic storage solutions in the refrigeration sector.
For further information, please contact Dr Martin Belusko.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College