Australian Solar Thermal Research Initiative
The Australian Solar Thermal Research Initiative (ASTRI) ASTRI is a collaboration of research institutions aiming to transform Australia into a global leader in solar thermal technologies.
The thermal energy storage group at the University of South Australia is providing expertise in the development develop of a low cost high temperature energy storage system using phase change material (PCM) to be used in conjunction with a turbine using super critical carbon dioxide gas as the heat transfer fluid. The collaboration also assists the investigations into the corrosion performance of containment materials.
The ASTRI project has the potential to significantly increase the uptake of concentrated solar thermal power plants.
ASTRI is led by CSIRO and involves six leading Australian universities, the Australian National University, Flinders University, Queensland University of Technology, University of South Australia, the University of Queensland and the University of Adelaide. The founding US Collaborators are Arizona State University, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories.
The ASTRI project is funded by the Australian Government via the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA).
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College