The Barbara Hardy Institute brings together world-leading researchers to work in multidisciplinary teams on real-world issues. Our researchers are scientists, engineers and social scientists, working together with a focus on the sustainability of our society.
Establlished in 2005 and reconstituted as the Barbara Hardy Institute in 2011, whose patron is the well known and widely respected Dr Barbara Hardy, champions her vision for the 'widespread adoption of sustainable principles and environmentally correct practices' by utilising multidisciplinary research approaches that challenge conventional thinking.
The Institute ethos is to support its members in conducting relevant, globally significant, multidisciplinary research. We collaborate with partners internally, nationally and internationally, engaging stakeholders and building partnerships to attract investment and promote research. Currently, our team includes around 250 members, who share the same vision: doing great research into sustainability.
Strategic plan and research report
To provide leadership in research and engagement with industry, government and communities to create integrated structural, technological and behavioural solutions for sustainably managed communities and natural environments.
The Institute has close research and teaching links with three partner schools within the Division of Information Technology, Engineering and the Environment (ITEE):
- School of Engineering
- School of Information Technology & Mathematical Sciences
- School of Natural and Built Environments (NBE)
Partners schools outside the Division: ITEE include:
- School of Education
- School of Communication, International Studies and Languages
- School of Art, Architecture and Design
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences
Find out more about the Institute and our antecedent research concentrations.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College