Champion of education, Jim McDowell recognised for his serviceApril 24 2019
South Australia’s most senior public servant and former UniSA Chancellor, Jim McDowell, will today be awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of South Australia for his services to education.
McDowell, who served as UniSA Chancellor from 2016-2018, was appointed Chief Executive of the Department of the Premier and Cabinet in August 2018.
UniSA Vice Chancellor Professor David Lloyd says McDowell brought “an important global view” to the planning and governance of the University of South Australia during his tenure as Chancellor.
“He also oversaw the Advisory Board of the Defence Systems Innovation Centre and UniSA’s Division of Business Advisory Board, and he continues to contribute to the University via a first-year law undergraduate scholarship named after his son Joshua,” Professor Lloyd says.
McDowell’s tenure as Chancellor coincided with some major infrastructure projects at the University of South Australia, including the construction of the $247 million Cancer Research Institute and $50 million Pridham Hall, a student-focused sports and function venue.
His successor, current Chancellor Pauline Carr, paid tribute to the Irish-born lawyer’s “deep commitment to education and his great depth of experience in industry and government”.
McDowell has an extensive background in the defence sector, predominantly with the global defence, aerospace and security company, BAE Systems, heading up its operations in Asia, Australia and Saudi Arabia over a combined period of 14 years.
It is a track record which SA Premier Steven Marshall describes as an “ideal foundation” to help steer South Australia’s naval shipbuilding program and other defence contracts based in the State.
He will be awarded an honorary doctorate in Pridham Hall today at 10.30am.
Media contact: Michele Nardelli office +61 8 8302 0966 mobile: +61 418 823 673 email: email@example.com
RT @BarbaraASpears: Looking forward to presenting the Australian Student Wellbeing Framework here in Bolzano, Italy at the Prevention of bu…
Asthmatics failing to cough up for medicine due to out-of-pocket costs, with 50% of adults and a third of children… https://t.co/PRkeAdERv9
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College