Agricultural Machinery Research and Design Centre (AMRDC)
The University of South Australia has developed an experienced team of professionals from a range of academic disciplines in engineering, combined with practical farming and industry backgrounds. AMRDC agricultural machinery research and design staff are well suited to carry out targeted research projects and consultancy services based on an understanding of the machinery needs of farmers and engineering requirements of the agricultural industry.
The AMRDC team can assist in all stages of machinery development - from basic research and design through to the construction and evaluation of prototype equipment and commercial machinery. On-site specialised facilities are used to research and develop farming technologies to suit Australian conditions. Many engineering developments are now in production, working in the field or installed in factories.
The multidisciplinary approach to problem solving sees research and design engineers working together, drawing on their specific skills and experiences and using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities. With strong links with industry, as well as national and international agricultural agencies, AMRDC research and design engineers are ideally placed to deliver practical outcomes in support of sustainable agriculture.
Our areas of expertise cover both pre-harvest and post-harvest engineering applications, and include:
- Seeding system technologies in no-till farming systems
- Seeder machinery design and testing
- Concept development and full design of specialised machinery
- Soil mechanics and soil/tool/residue interactions
- Small scale mechanisation in international conservation agriculture contexts
- Grain harvester modifications for snail pests, high moisture harvesting and weed seed destruction
- Technologies for precision agriculture
- Dried fruit production and processing
- Almond processing
- Grain contaminant separation
- Grain storage
- Seafood production and processing
We also provide postgraduate supervision, expert specialist advice and consultancy services to industry related to these areas of research.