The School of Engineering has some of the strongest research concentrations in the University of South Australia and includes leading research programs through the Agricultural Machinery Research and Design Centre, Barbara Hardy Institute, Defence and Systems Institute, Laser Physics and Photonics Devices Laboratory, and the Research Node for Low Carbon Living.
We conduct a range of research activities in autonomous & unmanned systems, systems integration & engineering, sustainable agriculture, sustainable energy, low energy housing, nanotechnology and nano-manufacturing, photonics and lasers, minerals and resources engineering, energy and advanced manufacturing, environmental science and engineering, biomaterials engineering and nano-medicine.
The School has many active connections with Australian and international institutions and industry through research and collaborative endeavours. It is a key participant in the CRC for Low Carbon Living. Its proximity to Adelaide's internationally-renowned Technology Park and links with the Defence Science and Technology Group further enhances its interaction with leading industry partners.
Innovative research projects are funded by Australian and international industry and government bodies and contribute to the progress of science and technology in these areas.
Research Concentrations within the School of Engineering
Associated Research Concentrations
Considering a research degree?
Defence and Systems Institute
The School of Engineering's Defence and Systems Institute is Australia's largest provider of leading edge research and postgraduate education in systems engineering, complex defence systems and autonomous systems.
SA’s No.1 for Engineering research in ERA 2015*
The only university in SA to have all of its assessed Engineering research rated well above world class, ranked 5 in Engineering in both the 2-digit and 4-digit FOR codes according to Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) 2015.*
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College