Supporting Girls in STEM
The broader strategy of the University is to encourage STEM careers and to support girls to pursue them. STEM Girls is a focused initiative to achieve this goal.
STEM opportunities are provided to secondary students through UniSA Connect Programs.
- AMSI Choose Maths Year 9 girls
- Maths Experience Year 10
- Maths Experience Year 11
- Aviation Year 10
- Science Booster Year 12
- ConocoPhillips Science Experience Years 9 and 10
Beyond STEM Girls
STEM Girls have the opportunity to stay connected with each other, the University, partner industries and professionals as they progress to Year 12 and beyond.
Year 12 opportunities for STEM Girls include:
- Invitation to a University sponsored International Women’s Day Breakfast. Girls will listen to accomplished female speakers, reconnect with each other and with the STEM Girls Champion.
- Invitation to The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) which is a national competition celebrating the research undertaken by PhD candidates. Competing for a chance to represent the University of South Australia at the Asia-Pacific 3MT® Final, PhD candidates communicate their research using 1 slide, and non-technical language in 3 minutes.
Photo: Professor David Lloyd with the 2018 STEM Girls who were our invited guests at the 2019 International Women’s Day Breakfast held at Adelaide Convention Centre
On to University
UniSA’s Women in STEM club is a proactive group which organises social functions, professional and personal development workshops and generally provides a supportive environment for undergraduate women studying STEM related programs.
Photo: Franke was a member of the inaugural 2015 STEM Girls cohort and is now studying a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Electrical and Mechatronic) at the University of South Australia
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College