STEM Day Out
For: Year 7 or Year 8 students with an aptitude for mathematics
STEM Day Out engages students in a rotation of STEM workshops focussing on the science of flight, puzzling mathematics and the engineering design process.
What will students do?
Students will explore the science of air – how it moves, how strong it is, and some of the amazing ways it behaves. They will apply this and discover what this has to do with planes while making your own plane wing.
Students will discover why puzzles are fundamental to mathematic thinking and explore how mathematical thinking links to problem solving.
Students will design and construct an object within set parameters using limited materials while developing their collaborative working, communication and time management skills.
- Classes will rotate through the three workshops.
- As the program is a practical activity, students will be required to wear closed in footwear.
- Duty of care for students will be retained by the classroom teacher.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Research for Educational and Social Inclusion
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College