Rural Community Wellbeing
National Enterprise for Rural Community Wellbeing
Rural Australia recurrently suffers from drought and other environmental impacts alongside commodity decline which threaten farm viability, closure of businesses in rural towns and impact on mental health and wellbeing. The suicide rate for young men in rural Australia, Indigenous peoples and male farmers remain among the highest in Australia. Further, rural communities continue to experience closure or decline of regional employment including resource industry workforce opportunities. There is limited supply of health professionals and ongoing difficulty in recruiting and retaining medical and allied health professionals. Social services remain scant and rural people often have to travel long distances to reach services.
The role of NERCW is to facilitate the building of resilient rural communities to manage recurrent rural stressors through locally targeted and supported interventions to create greater impact and sustainable solutions.
We provide creative solutions for rural community health and wellbeing that are co-designed and co-produced through collaborative research and programs with rural communities, government, not for profit and for profit organisations, local stakeholders and researchers. Our goal is to shape knowledge, policy, programs and practice for rural wellbeing. We partner researchers from Australian and international universities to reach our aims.
The National Enterprise for Rural Community Wellbeing comprises energetic and passionate people from agricultural industries, government departments and rural researchers. The NERCW identifies highly relevant issues currently impacting on the wellbeing of rural communities. We provide strategic direction for research and community projects and identify and activate pathways and networks to develop and fund these projects.
Learn more about our Research Group
Take a look at our latest publications.
Read about the exciting range of research projects being worked on.
Get in touch
You can find us at:
p:+61 8 8302 4262
f: +61 8 8302 4242
Engage with us
Collaborate with us and tap into our worldwide research network, highly-skilled academic researchers and talented students.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College