How Do I Become a Secondary English Teacher?

How Do I Become a Secondary English Teacher?

English teachers stimulate learning through the creation of texts, literature, poetry, prose, dramatic literatures, children’s literature, postcolonial literatures, diaspora, and literary theory. 

What do I need to study?

To become a Secondary English Education Teacher you will need to study one the following options:

Option 1 Tab Option 2 Tab

Option one:
Study the following packaged pathway combination:

The advantage of entering under the guaranteed entry pathway is that once you successfully complete your undergraduate degree, you will automatically gain entry into the Master of Teaching (Secondary)*.

*subject to meeting GPA requirements and subject selection

Option two:
Study a relevant 3 year undergraduate degree from a recognised higher education provider. UniSA offers:

On successful completion of your undergraduate degree, you will need to apply via SATAC and enrol in the following postgraduate program in teaching with UniSA:

On successful completion of these programs you will meet the criteria to apply for registration as a teacher in South Australia and interstate. Other criteria may apply.

Do I need to complete specific courses?

Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing and Literature) program need to select the Education pathway courses.

Students must also choose courses in a second learning area* (beyond the Arts) that aligns with the Australian Curriculum to meet the entry requirements for the Master of Teaching (Secondary). For example, you need to complete a minor (4 courses) in one of the following areas:

  • Arts: Media Arts, Visual Arts, Dance, Drama or Music
  • Design and Technology
  • Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Languages
  • Mathematics
  • Science

* Students need to contact the School of Creative Industries to discuss their second learning area within the first year of study.

Teachers Registration
On successful completion of the Master of Teaching (Secondary) you will meet the criteria to apply for registration as a teacher in South Australia and interstate. Other criteria may apply.

< Back to Secondary Teacher options

    • Enrol in the relevant option
    • Choose a second learning area
    • Complete undergraduate program
  • Enrol in and complete Master of Teaching (Secondary)
  • Commence work as an Secondary English Teacher


Read our brochure2.6mb .pdf

Education brochure

Where tomorrow's teachers learn today

The University of South Australia offers South Australia's most extensive range of teaching programs, preparing people for careers in one of the world's most important professions

Contact us

Domestic students
Future Student Enquiries
Telephone: +61 8 8302 2376

Make an Enquiry Apply Now

International students
UniSA International
GPO Box 2471
Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone: +61 3 9627 4854

Make an Enquiry

Areas of study and research

+ Click to minimise