UniSA’s long history in health education and research includes 50 years of pharmacy teaching, more than 40 years in occupational therapy and physiotherapy, and the largest school of nursing and midwifery in South Australia. Today the University continues to innovate and grow its contribution to building a healthy community.
Home to South Australia's premier health and biomedical research institute, the Sansom Institute for Health Research, UniSA's health presence now extends from our City East campus into the Adelaide BioMed City - a health and biomedical precinct located next door to and on our City West campus.
We are committed to being an integral part of Adelaide's BioMed City, bringing the health, technology and science expertise with our UniSA Cancer Research Institute and connecting our research with the Royal Adelaide Hospital and the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
University of South Australia Cancer Research Institute
The UniSA Cancer Research Institute is home to advanced health and medical research and teaching, the community-focused futuristic museum of discovery MOD., and the Innovation and Collaboration Centre (ICC).
The building houses more than 180 cancer researchers and 50 research students who collaborate and work towards a holistic approach to research into the preventation, diagnosis and impact of cancer, and its treatment on physical, psychosocial/spiritual and economic wellbeing.
It also features Australia’s first Science on a Sphere - a room-sized display that shows planetary data on a six-foot sphere - and allows UniSA students to undertake research into the prevention, diagnosis, impact and holistic treatment of cancer, along with pharmaceuticals, drug recovery and therapeutics.
Covering a total area of 29,000m2, this building features the tallest structural timber facade in the state, and has over 44,000 tonnes of concrete, 500km of data cables and 7,000 network points.
This signifcant construction project was a collaboration between UniSA, Swanbury Penglase, BVN, Hansen Yuncken, Rider Levett Bucknall, KBR, Arup, Wallbridge Gilbert Aztec, Cundall, Katnich Dodd and AG Coombs.
For more information visit the UniSA Cancer Research Institute webpage.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College