Celebrate International Women's Day
Inspiring women's stories with Elzira Sagynbaeva, Head of UN Women Pacific, Fiji
3 March 2014
Podcast available HERE (mp3 format 27MB)
Elzira Sagynbaeva will share inspiring women's stories from around the world, reflecting on how UN Women changes the lives of women in vulnerable situations based on her extensive work with the UN in varying capacities.
There will be an opportunity to network with like-minded individuals before the event, with refreshments available from 6.30pm.
All proceeds from this event will be donated to UN Women Australia to support programs that lift women and girls out of poverty.
Find out more about the Gender Consortium Network, and its interest in gender equality.
Co-presented with the Hawke Centre and the Gender Consortium Network
Elzira is the Regional Programme Director for UN Women in Fiji. A dynamic leader within United Nations for twenty years, she began her career in the organisation as Deputy Head of the National Commission for UNESCO, Kyrgyz Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She went on to fulfil roles as Assistant Resident Representative for the UNDP Kyrgyzstan, Programme Officer/Head of UNV Unit for UNDP Bosnia, Deputy Representative for UNDP Kosovo, Deputy Resident Representative for UNDP Albania, and Deputy Resident Representative (P&O) for UNDP Iran.
Her diverse experiences within the UN have provided her with extensive knowledge of UN programming as well as operations in the field.
While the views presented by speakers within the Hawke Centre public program are their own and are not necessarily those of either the University of South Australia or The Hawke Centre, they are presented in the interest of open debate and discussion in the community and reflect our themes of: strengthening our democracy - valuing our diversity - and building our future.
The copying and reproduction of any transcripts within the Hawke Centre public program is strictly forbidden without prior arrangements.
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College