MOD. is a futuristic museum of discovery, a place to be and be inspired. By offering immersive experiences within dynamic, changing exhibition programs, MOD. will explore the inherent creativity in problem-solving, and consider how research shapes our understanding of the world to inform future possibilities.
MOD. A place to be and be inspired.
At MOD. you will find Australia’s first Science on a Sphere installation, explore what it means to be human when surrounded by robots, challenge yourself to consider multiple and alternate realities and participate in exhibition programs that consider new themes three times a year.
MOD. will do this within seven purpose-built gallery spaces over two floors, plus our café, shop and lecture theatre as part of UniSA’s new Health Innovation Building currently being constructed on North Terrace.
We can’t wait to welcome you when we open our doors in mid 2018! Join us at the interface of science, art and innovation.
MOD. It’s not what you know
MOD. will host three exhibitions programs each year plus a shorter studio program guided by the principles below. Our opening exhibition for May 2018 is MOD.IFY, focusing on perceptions and multiple realities to explore how technologies are being applied to health, defence and entertainment. And it will be free! MOD. will be open to everyone – inspiring future generations of South Australians.
* Unexpected & Audacious. We challenge the traditional. The experience will be emotionally charged, where science and technology can be fun, but also challenging, icky and delightful. MOD. will be audacious, ambitious and globally-orientated.
* Two – way minded. We will embed Aboriginal knowledge and understanding by providing space for curation, creation and interpretation within our exhibition program.
* Participatory. There will be spaces for doing, not just seeing. And different ways of getting involved so it has tangible impact for young people.
* Accessible & Inclusive. Visitors will be welcome in the space through a mix of diverse and sensory activities catering for a wide range prior knowledge and capabilities.
* Open-ended. MOD. will generate more questions than answers. It will be an engine for serendipity, providing young people experiences to draw on throughout life.
* Connected. We will bring people and ideas together to promote further discovery by showcasing research and innovation and being a place where young people are welcome to hang out.
MOD. "Four Futures Informed By Us"
Foresight 2050 was three half-day workshops presented by MOD. during Open State in 2016. Participants investigated scenarios that would challenge Australians in the future. These foresight conversations were then interpreted through a mural by University of South Australia visual artists Thom Buchanan and Christian Lock with assistance from Greg Donovan and a small team of students. This work is now on view at the front of the Yungondi building on North Tce at the CityWest campus.
Read more & purchase