You may be eligible to do a professional doctorate at the University of South Australia. (See also Research degree programs)
What is a professional doctorate?
A professional doctorate is a rigorous program of advanced study and research, designed to meet the needs of industry and professional groups. Professional doctorate programs:
- foster excellence in professional practice by developing the capacity of individuals to lead development of knowledge in their professional contexts
- encourage close cooperation across the university/industry/profession interface, and provides a framework for integrating professional expertise and scholarly inquiry.
Professional doctorates usually blend coursework and research:
- The coursework component builds on candidates' professional expertise by exposing them to leading and challenging ideas in their fields.
- Research undertaken as part of the professional doctorate aims to direct and inform change, and to make a difference in the workplace and/or profession. Supported by expert facilitators, professional doctoral candidates bring the highest levels of systematic research knowledge and practice to professional projects.
Professional doctorates meet scholarly and University standards of research practice.
Are you eligible?
Applicants will usually have an honours degree/postgraduate qualification and substantial experience in the field.
Professional doctorates available
The University of South Australia offers research professional doctorates that comprise at least two-thirds research (see table below)
|Program code||Program name||Program Director(s)||Research:Coursework|
|MPEU*||Doctor of Education||A/Prof Rob Hattam||67:33|
If you like the idea of undertaking a professional doctorate, we invite you to get in touch with the relevant program director (see table above) who can answer any questions and discuss your candidature.
More information on professional doctorates: Higher Degrees by Research Policy and Academic Regulations for Higher Degrees by Research
* Denotes English language-rich program. More information for international applicants
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College