School of Education
Nina tidnama, Kaurna miyurna mukapanthu! Parna yaitya mathanya yaintya yartaku.
When you tread, remember the Kaurna people. Kaurna are the original owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains.
The University of South Australia’s School of Education has a long and respected history in training the dynamic, socially-conscious educators of the future.
Our programs are taught at our metropolitan campuses at Magill and Mawson Lakes, and regionally at Whyalla and Mt Gambier. We offer a four-year Bachelor of Education and a two-year Master of Teaching spanning early childhood, primary and secondary education. Our programs are offered on-campus and online. Discover how to become a specialised teacher here.
From 2015, the School of Education is offering two new Master of Education programs. The 18 month Master of Education and a two-year Master of Education (TESOL). The Master of Education is designed for educators who want to develop their knowledge and capabilities across any of the following areas: Assessment and Evaluation, Educational Leadership, Inclusive Education, Student Wellbeing, Digital Technologies, Literacy Education, and Numeracy Education. The Master of Education (TESOL) aims to deepen specialised knowledge in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
We are also home to the Centre for Research in Education (CREd), which is committed to environmental and social sustainability, social justice, cultural difference, and innovation. Our six CREd research groups each have their own key strengths and emerging themes and address diverse key questions facing education, from cyber-bullying to teaching English to new arrivals. Our researchers have vast experience in undertaking large-scale, collaborative research projects funded variously by the Australian Research Council, Cooperative Research Centres, the Department for Education and Child Development and other government and industry partners.
School of Education staff are renowned for developing innovative and cutting edge teaching, learning and research. As teachers, researchers and providers of teacher professional development, the excellence of our staff results in strong links with the education industry and universities around the world. Our strong partnerships support our student’s professional experience combining both theory and practice.
Tweets by @UniSAEducation
Invitation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
The School of Education warmly invites Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply for our pre-service teacher education programs. The School and University have unique provisions in place to enable student success in our programs. Our goal is to graduate 200 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders teacher graduates by 2020.
The MENtor Program for Males in ECE
The School of Education encourages gender diversity in our pre-service teacher education programs. The MENtor Program for Males in Early Childhood Education is an innovative program that provides support and guidance for male pre-service teachers. Through the MENtor Program the university aims to enrich student experience and increase male Early Childhood numbers to 10% by 2020.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College