University of South Australia Cancer Research Institute
A community of ideas and innovation.
Based on 2010 statistics, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women are at risk of developing cancer before the age of 85.* In 2012, more than 43,000 Australians died from cancer, with blood cancers accounting for 20% of these deaths. While there are many risk factors including gender, age, lifestyle, exercise and genetics, a collaborative and holistic approach to cancer and health research is the key to improving treatments and finding possible cures.
In mid-2015, UniSA began building a new $247m health and research facility to support a collaborative and holistic approach to health research. The new University of South Australia Cancer Research Institute opened in 2018, and is an integral part of Adelaide’s BioMed City on North Terrace, opening up a number of new cancer research, teaching and community engagement opportunities.
In 2013 UniSA launched its long-term strategic plan, Crossing the Horizon, including a commitment to be a prominent contributor in Adelaide’s BioMed City. This UniSA Cancer Research Institute delivers on this commitment, and will be home to our advanced cancer research, pharmacy teaching, and the community focused MOD., and the Innovation & Collaboration Centre.
For more information on building design, view the Design Presentation.
By 2018, UniSA will increase its engagement with local and global industries, enhance its current world-leading, relevant and informed research and produce more highly skilled and innovative graduates.View the brochure
The Great Hall will be a one-stop shop for students and the local community, featuring a sports complex, swimming pool and facilities for graduations, exams, corporate and cultural events.Find out more
UniSA’s Health Innovation Building will be home to the Centre for Cancer Biology, the Science l Creativity l Education Studio (SciCEd) and an ICT Innovation and Collaboration Centre.Find out more
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College