Frequently Asked Questions

These FAQs have been designed to assist in answering students main questions surrounding rural placements.

Accommodation FAQ

  1. Is the accommodation safe and secure? Yes. All DRH rental properties are located in residential areas of town. All bedroom doors within a property have individual privacy locks. These houses are part of the UniSA SafeZone program, and students are encouraged to download the app to access the services offered in the event of an emergency. For further details on SafeZone and to download the app click here.

  2.  Is the accommodation a mix of females and males? Yes. All DRH rental properties are shared by both female and male students. Each room is single bedroom occupancy. All other areas are shared such as kitchen, lounge, bathroom and laundry.

  3. Do I need to bring my own linen? Yes. You will need to bring your own bedroom and bathroom linen including a bathmat. The beds are king singles. DRH supplies a pillow with pillow protector, mattress protector and fitted sheet.

  4. Are there computers at the DRH accommodation? No. DRH does not supply computers at any of its rental properties. Students are advised to bring their own electronic devices with them on placement.

  5. Will I have internet access at the DRH accommodation? Internet access is already provided at many accommodation sites, although DRH is installing internet at its rental properties. Your email confirming your accommodation will contain further details.

  6. I can’t access the Wi-Fi? What can I do? Please contact the Student Support Coordinator on 1800 905 825 or who will provide you with the troubleshooting guide relevant to your student accommodation.

  7. Am I responsible for cleaning the accommodation? Yes. Students are required to keep their room clean during their stay and upon departure in preparation for the next student. All shared spaces are the responsibility of all students to keep clean and tidy. DRH employs external cleaners who will clean the common living areas on a 6 weekly basis. Please note that the cleaners do not tidy up after you.

  8. Can I have overnight guests? No. DRH does not permit overnight guests at any of its accommodations. Guests are allowed to visit but must not stay overnight.

  9. What do I do if I lose my key or lock myself out of the accommodation? During business hours please contact the Student Support Coordinator on 1800 905 825 or Outside of business hours, students are required to contact a locksmith. Please be aware that the call out cost both during and outside of business hours will be charged to the student. For a lost key contact the Student support coordinator immediately on 1800 905 825 or Please note if keys cannot be located this will require all locks to be replaced and costs will be incurred by the student who lost the key.

  10. Who do I contact in an emergency? If in doubt ring 000. If you have downloaded the SafeZone app, press the relevant button for the emergency. This call will be picked up by the UniSA security service who will provide further assistance. Information on other types of emergency can be found in the emergency booklet with in the student accommodation. All houses are fitted with smoke detectors, fire blankets and extinguishers. In the event of a fire ring 000, alert other occupants and evacuate the premises. Familiarise yourself with all exits of the house.

  11. What can I do if I have issues with another tenant? All students are bound by their university’s student code of conduct whilst on clinical placement. This code of conduct extends to university-provided accommodation. If you continue to experience issues, please contact the Student Support Coordinator at DRH on 1800 905 825 or

  12. How do I report a maintenance issue? All maintenance issues should be reported to the Student Support Coordinator via 1800 905 825 or Where possible, please attach photos of the issue.

  13. What do I need to bring with me? Please refer to the student checklist (hyperlink)

  14. What do I do if DRH doesn’t have accommodation in my placement location? Students are advised to contact their university’s Clinical Placement Unit or placement officer who will assist them further. In the event that there is no venue provided accommodation, other options include local caravan parks and hotels. Please refer to the student support matrix for further details.

General FAQ

  1. What financial support will I receive while on placement? Information on the types of financial support offered by DRH is provided on the Student Support Matrix found here (hyperlink to matrix). Students are also advised to access the scholarships available through their university, more information on scholarships can be found here.

  2. I am a rural based student; is there financial support available for my metro placement? Unfortunately no. Funding received by the Commonwealth is to support students who undertake a rural clinical placement. Please refer to your university’s scholarship website and accommodation services for further details.

  3. Can I bring my children with me? No. DRH does not provide accommodation for families. Students will need to arrange alternative accommodation if their families are required to travel with them.

  4. Can I bring my pet with me? No. Pets are not allowed in any student accommodation.

  5. Are meals provided? No. Students are required to provide their own food at their own expense.

  6. How do I access the online cultural awareness training? The online cultural awareness training can be found here. Please note that the DRH are not the administrators for this site and are not able to assist with your log on details.

  7. How do I access the DRH Moodle site? The DRH Moodle site key can be found here.

  8. Will I have mobile phone coverage? Not all telecommunication providers have full access in regional, rural and remote areas. Before leaving home, please check your telecommunications provider’s coverage maps for further information.

Transportation FAQ

  1. Will there be local transport in my placement town? You will need to consider transport options to your destination, and during the time you are on placement. Depending on where your placement is located, you may need to organise air travel, use public transport such as trains or buses, and/or drive. If using your own car, consider its condition, as well as your experience and confidence driving long distances. Not all locations will have public transport, if they do it maybe be limited. It is suggested that students visit the local council website for their placement location for additional information. Please refer to the the locations map

Discover Yourself in Rural South Australia

More Info

Discover Yourself in Rural South Australia