Entry pathways

As a university with a strong commitment to equity and access, we believe that people should have equal opportunities for further education and acknowledge that university isn’t just for high school leavers. Whether you have no previous qualifications or you’ve already studied at a tertiary level through university, TAFE or another registered training organisation (RTO), UniSA offers a range of entry pathways to university study.

To find the right pathway into your preferred university degree, we start by looking at your individual situation. Explore the descriptions below and follow the headings or use the left hand navigation to discover your pathway:

Upskilling with no prior qualifications?

Maybe you did not complete year 12 and haven't studied since. Maybe you've been working for some time with no prior qualifications and are seeking to upskill or formalise your skills and experience. You might be seeking a career change and need further qualifications to take that next step. If this sounds like you, you may be able to take an alternative pathway such as the Foundations Studies or a diploma through the UniSA College, or an alternative provider TAFE/RTOUniSA Associate Degree, the South Australian Institute of Business and Technology (SAIBT), Open Universities Australia (OUA). Or you could sit the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). 

Finishing high school or returning to study?

If you completed high school, no matter how long ago that was, you may still be eligible to use your year 12 results, providing you have not completed more than two years of equivalent full-time tertiary study. If you do not have competitive year 12 results, there are alternative pathways to transition from secondary to tertiary study such as the UniSA College, TAFE/RTO, UniSA Associate Degree, the South Australian Institute of Business and Technology (SAIBT), Open Universities Australia (OUA) or sit the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). 

Changing your university degree?

Have you spent time at university before? Whether you have studied at UniSA, through OUA or at another university, you may apply to transfer based on your grade point average (GPA). If you have completed no more than two years of equivalent full-time tertiary study, you may be able to use your past year 12 results. You will need to check if your results are competitive with the current year 12 ATAR scores. Contact our Future Student Enquiries Team to discuss your options. 

Coming to university from TAFE or another registered training organisation (RTO)?

A completed certificate IV, diploma or advanced diploma from TAFE or RTO may be all you need to apply for a UniSA degree, even if you didn’t successfully complete year 12. Through our UniSA Preferred scheme, many programs offer you guaranteed entry if you have a TAFE/RTO diploma or higher, you meet any prerequisites and you list the program as your first preference.

If you have studied in a relevant area at TAFE or another RTO, you may be able to fast-track your bachelor degree by obtaining credit.

Applying for midyear entry?

Have you thought of studying at UniSA but missed out on applying for Semester 1 entry? A number of our programs offer a midyear intake, so you might not have to wait the whole year before commencing your studies. Applications for midyear are open from as early as August the year prior, allowing you to apply for both midyear and Semester 1 entry, if desired. Midyear application deadlines including change of preference however will differ, so please check the SATAC website for key dates.

To find out what programs are taking midyear applications, visit the SATAC website or contact us.

Not sure that any of these fit you?

We recognise that it can be difficult to determine which pathway is your most suitable option. Contact us to book a one-on-one appointment where we can review your individual situation and options. 

Areas of study and research

+ Click to minimise