The Commonwealth Scholarships Program is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Education and Training.
It aims to assist Indigenous students experiencing financial need, particularly those from remote and regional areas. Commonwealth Scholarships are available through all Australian universities.
There are five different types of Commonwealth Scholarships:
- Commonwealth Education Costs (CECS)-Indigenous (CECS-Indigenous) provide students with A$2,637 a year for up to four years to assist with general study costs.
- Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (CAS)-Indigenous (CAS-Indigenous) provide students who have to moved from regional or remote areas to undertake their university studies with A$5,276 a year for up to four years to assist with accommodation and study costs.
- Commonwealth Education Costs (CECS)-Indigenous Enabling (CECS-Indigenous Enabling) provides A$2,637 a year for up to one year to assist with the costs of studying an eligible enabling course.
- Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship(CAS)-Indigenous Enabling (CAS-Indigenous Enabling) provides A$5,276 a year for up to one year to assist with the costs of rural / remote students who must relocate to access an eligible enabling course.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- A student may NOT concurrently hold an CECS-Indigenous and an CECS-Indigenous Enabling
- A student may NOT concurrently hold an CAS-Indigenous and an Indigenous CAS-Indigenous Enabling
For students who are currently in receipt of a Commonwealth Scholarships (continuing recipients), please find the ongoing eligibilities here.
The Relocation Scholarship will be paid to eligible dependent Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY Living Allowance customers to help with the costs of living away from home to study. For further information please visit the Centrelink Relocation Scholarships webpage.
Please note: Scholarships and Grants are subject to change and are awarded based on conditions current at the time of award