Frequently asked questions


This information is designed for Prospective International Students and should be only used as a guide. Contact us for more information or visit Campus Central FAQs for additional answers.

How to apply   

How do I apply for a program at the University of South Australia?

There are a number of ways to apply to study at the University of South Australia.

Apply using our online International Application System Once you have found the program you wish to study, click on APPLY ONLINE which will take you to our easy to use International Application System. What can you expect from UniSA’s new International Application System:

  •  An easy and secure online application and acceptance process
  •  Visibility of your application through an online portal
  •  Ability to download offer documents, submit your acceptance and make a payment through the online portal

Alternatively you can submit an application through one of the University's registered - Education Agents.

If you are an international student completing the Year 12 SACE or equivalent Australian qualification onshore, or undertaking the SACE in Malaysia or China, you MUST apply through SATAC.

If you are interested in studying research at the University of South Australia you will need to contact Research degrees.


How do I apply for a program at the University of South Australia?

If you have NOT been granted Australian or New Zealand Citizenship or Permanent Residency status for Australia, you are classified as an international applicant. You will be required to pay international tuition fees and visa length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and you need to study on a full time load.

If you are on a Temporary Resident Visa you will need to apply as an international student. You will be required to pay international tuition fees, however you will not be required to pay for OSHC and you have the option of studying either full time, part time or externally.


I am studying at another institution and would like to apply to study at the University of South Australia. What is the process?

You will need to submit a new application to the University of South Australia.

If you have been studying at your current institution for less than six calendar months you will need to apply to that institution for a release letter. Please provide the release letter to the University as soon as possible.


What documents do I need to provide with my application?

You will need to provide certified documents (original stamp)* of the following:

  •  Passport (personal details page and signature page) or visa grant letter (if applicable)
  •  Academic Transcripts including your institution’s grading system
  •  Graduation Certificate
  •  English Language Test Result (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, CELUSA, etc)
  •  Course Syllabus (if you are applying for credit/advanced standing)
  •  Some programs require additional documents

(Please search for your program entry requirements to determine if you need to send additional documents with your application).

*A certified document is a copy of the original document that has been certified by an official such as a University staff member, Education Agent, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, police officer or examining authority. Please do not send originals as they will not be returned.


Who can certify my documents?

Your documents can be certified by a University staff member, a registered Education Agent, or a person of authority in your home country (e.g. Notary Public, the consulate, lawyer, a police offer or examining authority). If you are in Australia, your documents can be certified by a Justice of Peace or a staff member from the international office at the University of South Australia (only available in Australia).

Please note that documents required by DFAT can only be certified by an approved DFAT signatory. DFAT signatories are located at each Campus Central, and Level 1, 101 Currie Street, Adelaide. JPs are not able to certify documents required by DFAT.


I would like to apply for credit, how do I apply?

You will need to answer YES to the ‘Credit/Advanced Standing’ question on the application form. You will then need to send detailed course syllabus and supporting documents for assessment.

Please refer to the University’s Credit Assessor where you can assess how much credit you may be eligible for based on your previous studies.


After submitting my application, when will I hear from the University?

Once we have received your online application, along with your supporting documents, an automatic response email will be sent to you confirming your application number. It will provide you with a link to check your application status online.

Applications will be finalised in 1-4 weeks from the date we receive the application and all required supporting documentation. Applications for credit or that need external consultation may take longer.

Once a decision has been reached, we will email you, or your authorised representative, with the outcome of your application.


I want to enquire about the status of my friend's application?

Due to the University’s confidentiality policy we require an email or a written letter from the applicant authorizing you to act on their behalf. Once we have received this authorisation letter you will be able to enquire about the status of your friend's application.


Entry Requirements   

What are the entry requirements for the University of South Australia?

In addition to academic and english language requirements you need to be aware of the guidelines on genuine temporary entry and guidelines on living-costs and evidence of funds


What are the English entry requirements for the University of South Australia?

The English Language Entry Requirement varies depending on the program you choose. Research your program choice to find out the specific requirements.


What are the Academic entry requirements for the University of South Australia? Am I eligible?

The Academic requirements vary depending on the program you choose. Each application is formally assessed once the University has received your application and supporting documents. For more information research your program choice.

For further information on entry requirements for undergraduate studies, please refer to the Minimum Admission Requirements by Country for 2014 (PDF 64KB).


Accept your offer   

I have received an offer, how do I accept?

If you’re ready to accept your offer, log into our International Application System and complete the following quick and easy steps to accept your offer in our secure online system:

  • Log in and view your submitted applications with an offer
  • Click on the ‘Actions’ button and select ‘Respond to offer’
  • Check your offer details are correct and select ‘Accept Offer’
  • Upload any additional documents required to meet your condition/s (if applicable)
  • Select the box to confirm that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of the offer
  • Enter your full name and any comments you have and click ‘Accept Offer’
  • You will then be taken to the UniSA Western Union GlobalPay for Students where you will be instructed on how to make a payment via Bank Transfer or Credit Card.
  • Once you have finalised your payment, your Admissions Officer will be automatically advised so they can action your acceptance of offer

I have received an offer from the University of South Australia and now wish to change my program. What do I do?

International students who have not accepted the offer from the University and wishing to change their program choice are required to complete a new application form. Please see How do I apply for a program at the University of South Australia?

Please note that the assessment process generally takes two to four weeks. Once a decision has been made you will be notified via email, so please check your email account regularly.


How can I pay the first tuition payment?

The University provides four payment options. Please note that the University cannot accept cash, personal cheques or money orders. Please refer to the Acceptance & Payment Form for international students.


Option 1 – Online Credit Card Payment

To pay online by credit card you will need your application number and password. You can request your password by email. Please remember to include your full name and application number in your request. If you already have your details, please login and select 'Pay Online'.


Option 2 – Bank Draft/Cheque

Bank Drafts need to be made payable to the 'University of South Australia'.


Option 3 – Telegraphic Transfer (TT)

This is the preferred method of payment for all students. The University's bank details for deposit of TT are:

National Australia Bank
Account Name: Uni of SA General A/C
Account Number: 516545570
BSB Number: 085 - 005
Address: King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia

Please note that you must include your applicant number and your name on the TT and forward a receipt to the University’s international office along with your acceptance documents.


Option 4 – Direct Debit

This option is only available in person at the University’s international office (Level 1, 101 Currie Street, Adelaide) as the card holder must be present at the transaction. You are able to pay with a debit/credit/savings account. Please be aware if you are using a savings account, the account must be with an Australian bank.


Option 4 – Payment by Sponsor

Your first payment will be invoiced to your sponsor after arriving and enrolling at the University.


Can I pay my fees before meeting the condition/s?

Please do not make payment until you have met your condition/s, as per the Guidelines on payment and refund of fees for international students. You will not receive a 100% refund if you do not meet your condition.


I have accepted my offer, when will I receive my Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)?

Once the University has received all the required acceptance documents (see I have received an offer, how do I accept?) and the required payment you will receive your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) via email within four business days.


How do I apply for a student visa?

Please take the Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) or the Australian Embassy in your home country to lodge your student visa application. Do not apply for your student visa without attaching your COE to your application.

Please see a help-sheet on “How to lodge a complete student visa” to assist you with all the information you need to apply for your student visa. You can also find information on the student visa process here.

The website for International student support has frequently asked questions on visa requirements.


Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)   

Do I need to pay Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

It is a requirement of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) and the University’s policy for students to have Visa Length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the full duration of their student visa. If you have current OSHC you will need to provide proof of this cover (such as a copy of your card) and it must be for the full duration of your student visa. If it is not for the full duration, you can either pay the remaining cover through the University or extend with your current provider (evidence of this extension is required). If you are a Temporary Resident of Australia you are NOT required to make payment or provide proof of OSHC as you should already have your own cover. Swedish students are exempted from this requirement if they are eligible for study assistance from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid (CSN) and have applied for health insurance cover through one of the affiliated companies. Norwegian students are exempted from this requirement if they have health insurance coverage under the Norwegian National Insurance Service.


How do I receive my Overseas Student Health Care (OSHC) card?

As a new student, you will have paid for your OSHC as part of your offer of acceptance. You will receive an email from Overseas Student Health Cover provided by Allianz Global Assistance (the University's preferred provider) with instructions on how to go online and activate your OSHC card. If you have arranged your OSHC with another insurance provider, you must contact your provider directly for membership information.


Defer, withdraw or change your program   

How do I defer my offer?

If you have a current offer from the University of South Australia and wish to defer your commencement to a later intake, you will need to notify us in writing via email.


How do I withdraw/decline my offer?

If you wish to withdraw/decline your application from the University of South Australia, please notify us via email.


How do I apply for a refund of my fees?

If you have made payment to the University of South Australia and decide to withdraw from your program you will need to complete a Refund Request Form. You will need to submit this form to the University as per the instructions on the form.

The University can only process refund requests before the Census date of your commencing study period. If this date has passed, you will need to contact Campus Central at your home campus. Please note that the refund request may take approximately four weeks to process. All refunds will be issued in Australian Dollars only.


I have been granted Permanent Residency - What should I do?

If you are a new student you will need to apply for your University of South Australia program through the South Australian Tertiary Admission Centre (SATAC). If you require any further information on application processes or programs please contact one of our Marketing Officers at Future Student Enquiries.

If you are currently enrolled at the University of South Australia and have been granted Permanent Residency (PR) you will need to submit the PR documents to Campus Central at your home campus for their records.


I am currently enrolled at the University of South Australia and wish to change my program.

As a current student you may be eligible for an internal transfer through campus central. Please contact Campus Central if you require further assistance.


Orientation and how to enrol   

When can I enrol in my courses (subjects)?

Once you have accepted your offer you will receive an enrolment email with important information about how to enrol online. Please refer to the New Students Website for more information. If you have any problems with enrolling, please contact Campus Central at your home campus for assistance.


When and where is my orientation?

Find out more about the orientation program for international students on the Orientation website.


What if I can't attend orientation and need approval for late arrival?

The orientation sessions and activities introduce you to life in Adelaide and the University of South Australia. The workshops, tours and various other activities will familiarise you with your new environment and give you the opportunity to meet many other students who are beginning their studies at the University. If you are unable to arrive by the commencement date it is very important that you contact us stating your reason(s). In most cases you will have to defer to the next available study period. If you believe you have extenuating circumstances that mean you will arrive after the orientation start date please contact us stating your reason/s.


How do I receive my student ID card?

Once you have enrolled in your first year of study, you will be able to collect your Student ID card from Campus Central at your home campus.


Areas of study and research

+ Click to minimise