At UniSA, all domestic undergraduate students are in Commonwealth supported places, while only some postgraduate students will be in a program that is Commonwealth supported.
All other domestic postgraduate students undertake their higher education in fee paying places.
Commonwealth supported students are charged a portion of the cost of their higher education through a student contribution. The Australian Government also contributes to part of the cost, through the Commonwealth contribution.
The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) allows eligible students to defer their student contribution (through HECS-HELP) and repay it later through the taxation system. Some Commonwealth supported students are not eligible for HECS-HELP.
For more information on Commonwealth supported places, find out if you are eligible and discover what other assistance the Government may be able to provide you, please visit the Study Assist website.
How much do I pay?
Commonwealth Supported students are required to pay a student contribution for each course (subject). This differs depending on the area of study for the course and also the year you first started tertiary education.
What are my payment options?
If you are eligible for HECS-HELP, you may pay your student contribution by:
- Making a full up-front payment (you will receive a 10% discount*)
- Making a partial up-front payment and obtaining a HECS-HELP loan for the remainder (you will receive a 10% discount* where your up-front payment is $500 or more for courses in a program that have the same census date), or
- Taking out a HECS-HELP loan for the full amount of your student contribution
If you are ineligible for HECS-HELP you must pay your student contribution by the due date.
*10% discount only available for 2016 enrolments and prior. The government has discontinued the discount from 2017 onwards. Please see studyassist.gov.au for more information.
How do I pay?
Students are issued an online invoice approximately 30 days prior to the census date of the relevant study period. Payment options are BPay, any Australia Post outlet or online through our student portal with a credit card.
What are my responsibilities?
You are responsible for:
- Applying for a Commonwealth supported place before the deadline
- Providing your Tax File Number by the census date (if deferring student contribution to HECS-HELP)
- Enrolling by census dates
- Checking your student email
- Reading notices and invoices and
- Staying out of bad financial standing.