Dr Ian Gould AM
Dr Ian Gould AM served as Chancellor of the University of South Australia during one of the University’s most significant periods of growth and gave eight years of distinguished service including as Convenor of the Universities Chancellors’ Council.
A geologist by profession, Dr Gould has 40 years’ experience in the minerals industry in diverse and senior positions, mainly within the CRA and Rio Tinto Group, in which he was Group Executive for Exploration and later for Research and Development before becoming the Managing Director Australia, and then Group Managing Director for Normandy Mining Ltd.
In 2007 Dr Gould became a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, and in the same year was awarded the Institute Medal by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, of which he is also a Fellow and past President.
In June 2011, Dr Gould was named a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for service to the mining industry, particularly as a proponent of environmental management, to education as Chancellor of the University of South Australia, and to the community. He has also Chaired the Councils of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, St Andrews Hospital and the Institute of Marine Science.
Dr Gould actively supports UniSA students by giving his time and sharing his knowledge, and through his personal contribution, the Ian Gould Experimental Science Grant. The grant encourages Honours and PhD students to undertake hands on research and to engage actively in experimental work and collect and analyse their own data for thesis work in any area of science, including social sciences.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College