Mr Michael Heard
For more than 30 years, Mr Heard has been engaged in the research and development, design, manufacture and export of technology products and systems in the manufacturing industry, and held a number of engineering, marketing, general management and company director positions.
He served for almost two decades as Managing Director of Codan Limited, an Adelaide-based designer, manufacturer and supplier of innovative communications, metal detection, and electronic equipment to global markets. Codan’s radio communications and metal detection products are sold in more than 150 countries, with annual sales growing to $190 million under Mr Heard’s leadership.
In his roles with Codan and the Electronics Industry Association, he partnered with the University of South Australia on research, skills, and training endeavours of mutual interest to help advance the state and national economies.
He has also served as a director of laboratory services business Amdel Limited, a member of the Australian Space Council, and member of the Australian National Telescope Steering Committee. He was a co-founder and the inaugural President of South Australia’s Electronics Industry Association, which is now the Technology Industry Association.
Currently, Mr Heard is a director of the Leaders Institute of South Australia and Manufacturing Excellence Taskforce Australia Limited, as well as a member of South Australia’s Premier’s Science and Industry Council.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia, a Chartered Professional Engineer, and a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College