Understanding how individuals make decisions regarding their health, and how we can design health systems with the users or suppliers in mind are key for Australia’s ageing population.
- Healthy Ageing
Australia has an ageing population. Healthy or active ageing refers to processes or programs that optimise opportunities for health and quality of life as individuals or populations age. Understanding and finding solutions for the issues that face an ageing population are a research priority for I4C. Some of the issues Australians’ face include:
- How to retain mobility as individuals age? Driverless cars offer a promising alternative to traditional transport methods for older Australians.
- How do older people with multiple chronic diseases (multimorbidity) make decisions about taking medicines where competing treatment outcomes and priorities exist? Watch the video
- How can we better enable family who care for older family members but who live away from them?
- What are older Australians’ attitudes to end of life care?
- See more about our award winning work in ageing in South Australia
- Quality of Life
What is Quality of Life and how do we measure it? Quality of life the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group. We need accurate measures of quality of life for making decisions about the economic impacts of health interventions.
- Read more about our contributions to the development of the ICECAP-SCM: the wellbeing in end of life supportive care measure (pdf 2MB)
- Read more about our work in developing a quality of life measure for adolescents using best-worst scaling
- Values for the ICECAP - Supportive Care Measure (ICECAP-SCM) for use in economic evaluation at end of life
- Health System Design
How do health professionals, like dentists, make job choices over their career? We’re currently completing work developing a demand model for dentist job options in Australia.
Prof Ratcliffe is one of our experts in health, learn more about her work here.
Prof Swait is one of our experts in health, learn more about his work here.
See more about the research techniques we use to deliver key insights for partners.
Ask a question
Get in touch with the Institute for Choice.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College