Consumer preferences for shop trading hours
Retail trading hour regulations vary across Australia. Over the past decade, most states have introduced full or partial deregulation. Deregulation means that retailers either chose when to open (full deregulation) or shopping hours are extended during the week and retailers can open Sundays and public holidays (partial deregulation).
South Australia is one of the last states to deregulate retail trading hours. Trading hours vary across the state. Most of regional South Australia is deregulated, but Sunday and public holiday trade remains highly regulated in greater Adelaide.
Business SA wanted to identify consumers’ preferences and attitudes towards shop trading hours across these three regions of SA.
An online survey was given to 572 people across SA. The survey asked respondents to compare hypothetical future trading hours with their current hours, based on their location. From respondents’ choices, the new, alternative trading hours were ranked from most preferred to least preferred.
For shoppers who currently face restricted trading hours in greater Adelaide, and Naracoorte, Adelaide Plains and Wattle Range council areas, their current hours were their least preferred option. Shoppers in deregulated areas liked their current trading hours best.
Prof Swait is one of our experts in choice modelling, learn more about his work here.
Dr Ardeshiri is one of our experts in choice modelling, learn more about his work here.
See more about our team of researchers.
Ask a question
Get in touch with the Institute for Choice.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College