Modelling multi-phase flow
Multi-phase dispersions are the norm in the industry process of flotation used for water purification, de-inking of recycled paper pulp, and advanced mineral recovery. Despite being a heavily utilized method, the basic processes inherent to flotation are complex. Important fluid dynamic features such as many-bubble hydrodynamic interactions, volume changes due to finite bubble compressibility, and non-uniform distributions of surface-active agents and their affects on particle capture are all present in these compressible systems. In this project modelling the dynamics of a stream of deformable and compressible bubbles as they rise through a dispersion of particles is effected via numerical simulations of the dynamic motion and interaction of deformable bubbles and solid particles as the bubbles rise under buoyancy. Features such as coalescence, hydrodynamic factors favouring and hindering particle capture and particle collection efficiency are studied. Comparisons are made between full numerical results and empirical or phenomenological theories as well as experiments conducted by international collaborators.
Swedish National Research Council Grant, Modelling of flow and interaction dynamics in multi-phase dispersions, $192,000.
B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward, (2013) A composite Level Set and Extended-Domain-Eigenfunction Method for simulating 2D Stokes flow involving a free surface, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 237 (1), 389-402.
J. Aarao, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward, (2013) Extended-domain-eigenfunction method (EDEM): a study of ill-posedness and regularization, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 46
J. Aarao, B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward (2011) Numerical implementation of the EDEM for modified Helmholtz BVPs on annular domains, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 235, 1342-1353.
J. Aarao, B.H. Bradshaw-Hajek, S.J. Miklavcic, D.A. Ward (2010) The extended-domain-eigenfunction method for solving elliptic boundary value problems with annular domains, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 43, DOI:10.1088/1751-8113/43/18/185202.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College