RootGraph and RootAnalyzer: Growing Research on RootsNovember 09 2015
PBRC researchers have recently published two significant papers in the area of plant roots.
PBRC researchers Drs Jinhai Cai, Jason Connor, Pankaj Kumar and Professor Stanley Miklavcic, in collaboration with researchers from the Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics, reported in the Journal of Experimental Botany on the outcome of their efforts to develop a fully automatic software tool for the analysis of plant roots based on image processing algorithms.
J. Cai, Z. Zeng, J.N. Connor, C.Y. Huang, V. Melino, P. Kumar, S.J. Miklavcic (2015) "RootGraph: an image analysis and graphic optimization tool for the automated analysis of plant roots", Journal of Experimental Botany (doi: 10.1093/jxb/ erv359)
PBRC PhD Student Josh Chopin and supervisors Professor Stanley Miklavcic and Dr Hamid Laga have developed an algorithmic tool for the automated analysis of root tissue cross-sections to quantify tissue cell number, size and shape as well as tissue cell distribution. The tool has been developed to assist plant scientists in their efforts to quantify structural changes in plant root anatomy in response to growth under environmental stress conditions. The PBRC researchers reported on their work in the highly regarded journal, PLOS One.
Joshua Chopin, Hamid Laga, Chunyuna Huang, Sigrid Heuer, and Stanley J. Miklavcic. RootAnalyzer: a cross-section image analysis tool for automated characterization of root cells and tissues. PLOS One 2015 (doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0137655).
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College