Research ImpactNovember 09 2015
The work of Miklavcic and his colleague Li Yang (of China Medical University) on the theory of light scattering in absorbing media [1,2] has been used to analyze the seventeenth century Shroud of Arquata, a copy of the Shroud of Turin. The theoretical model is used to assess the nature of the low-contrast, body impressions in the cloth simulating those in the Turin shroud. The Yang-Miklavcic theory has also been employed to analyze the reason for the degradation of a Leonardo da Vinci self-portrait  and assist in identifying physical-chemical conservation methods to prevent further degradation.
 L. Yang and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) "A theory of light propagation incorporating scattering and absorption in turbid media", Optics Letters 30, 792-794.
 L. Yang and S.J. Miklavcic (2005) "Revised Kubelka-Munk theory III. A general theory of light propagation in scattering and absorptive media", J. Optical Soc. Am. A 22, pp1866-1873.
 P. Di Lazzaro, (2015) “Noninvasive analyses of low-contrast images on ancient textiles: The case of the Shroud of Arquata”, Journal of Cultural Heritage.
 A. Mosca Conte, O. Pulci, M.C. Misiti, J. Loweska, L., Teodonio, C. Violante, M. Missori (2014) “Visual degradation in Leonardo da Vinci’s iconic self-portrait: a nanoscale study”. Applied Physics Letters, 104 224101.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College